We Look Forward to Welcoming you to our Kindergarten Program at South Whidbey Elementary School:
Dear Families Preparing for Kindergarten for Your Child:
It’s been 30 years since my oldest child started kindergarten, but I will never forget that first day. What a mix of excitement and a little sadness as they head off on the big yellow school bus! We believe you as parents/caregivers are your children's first and most important teachers and we look forward to working together as your child begins their elementary school journey!
My name is Susie Richards, and as principal of South Whidbey Elementary School - we are so excited to welcome those families and children new to our school community and a welcome back to those returning with a younger child! Here are some key elements of our program:
- We celebrate the amazing land and resources that surround us. Our “Farm, Forest and Sea” instructional themes support children in exploring our island home. Whether it’s planting peas with Farmer Jay at our school farm during weekly farm time, studying birds on our school trails or learning from 3rd grade buddies about Orca Whales, our children are engaged and active learners!
- Our kindergarten program provides our students with ongoing opportunities to learn and practice social, emotional, problem-solving, and skills that they will use throughout their school experience - and life! I Remember the old “All I Really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarten!”
- We recognize and celebrate that every child is unique and brings their unique perspectives and qualities to our kindergarten community. We celebrate diversity and teach and guide with equity in mind.
We can’t wait to meet you and your child! Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions!
Susie Richards, Principal SWES K-4 and our amazing Kindergarten Team
Once you Register for Kindergarten, be sure and sign your child up for KinderCamp!!
SIGN UP HERE: https://forms.gle/MhXRneGV1kJdDxPy8
Did you miss Kindergarten Readiness Night? You can view the PPT presentation here:
Kindergarten Readiness Night Presentation
Typical Kindergarten Day
Skills your child should practice…
- Using the toilet without adult assistance
- Putting on and removing his or her own coat, hats, and mittens
- Hanging up his or her coat and backpack
- Fasteners (e.g., zippers and snaps)
- Opening food containers, cartons, straws, ketchup packets
- Putting toys away
- Following adult directions
- Holding a pencil/crayon
- Using scissors and glue
Kindergarten School Supply List
- Crayola Washable Markers
- Colored Pencils
- Scissors (child size)
- Pencils (pack of 12)
- Glue sticks (pack of 12)
- Elmer's glue bottle
- Playdough (pack of 4)
- 2-Crayola Watercolor Paints
- Kleenex (1 box )
- 2-Black Sharpies
- 2-Boxes of Crackers
- Large backpack
- Reusable water bottle
- Clorox wipes (used by teacher)